A life of compassion and healing.
best social services job
Social workers care about people and they use their influence to relieve suffering and make a difference in the lives of those who need it most.
By diagnosing and treating mental, behavioral and emotional issues as a clinical social worker or helping people solve and cope with problems in their everyday lives as a direct-service worker, social workers are agents of change for individuals, families and communities.
Why study social work?
- Professional social workers are the nation’s largest group of clinically trained mental health specialists and provide more mental health services than psychologists, psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses combined.
- Demand for social workers is on the rise.
- Discover a rewarding career in a growing field.
My social work supervisor at Union was an instrumental part of my educational journey. He spent countless conversations listening to my dreams of working with our elderly population, encouraging me in these goals and helping to create rich practicum experiences for me. He encouraged me to continue my education, which motivated me to earn my master’s degree in social work and pursue a job I love.
a 2009 graduate, now a licensed clinical social worker at Northland PACE in Bismarck, N.D.
Real experience starts long before graduation.
of students placed in internships
At Union, we understand offering social justice as a social worker is more than a career—it’s an opportunity to fulfill Jesus’ command to serve the poor and the forgotten. When you study social work at Union, you put your Christian faith and your professional career together in one package to meet the demand for social justice.
The fully accredited social work program at Union College is designed to introduce relevant issues, to train you to relate to people from diverse backgrounds, create plans to address the issues they face, and to develop a value system for professional and Christian service in social service organizations. The knowledge gained in the classroom is put into practice in actual social service agencies as part of the field practicum.
Why study at Union College?
- Assist a social worker in creating and restoring relationships, providing education and support, connecting patients to a multitude of services, organizing events, allocating resources or caring for the homeless.
- Enjoy a professor-to-student ratio that makes it easy for you to interact with your professors.
- Participate in social and professional activities through the Social Work Club. Build lifelong friendships and connections to support you as you seek a career in supporting others.
- A 480 hours field work practicum provides a training at a wide selection of local agencies.
Our classes really prepared us for every branch of social work. I’ve felt ready to jump into my different internships, and I can fall back on the skills I learned in my classes. I’m blessed to have a tight-knit group of friends who support each other, and the faculty members at Union are all concerned about my success. I know I can talk to them if I’m having struggles or need help. They’re always there for me
a 2016 graduate who was offered a domestic violence advocate job with the Lincoln Police Department during her senior year after a completing an internship in the victim witness department in the department.
Majors and minors
Review cases, investigate family situations, collect evidence, and develop reunification plans.
16% growth (much faster than average)
School social worker
Create plans that address emotional, behavioral, social, and academic issues.
Mental health social worker
Help people cope with mental, behavioral, and emotional issues.
19% growth (much faster than average)