Please read our Interlibrary Loan Policy below before making Interlibrary Loan requests.
To request a book:
- Search WorldCat Local (with limit set to Libraries Worldwide) and find a record for the desired book.
- Verify that Union College does not own the book (there may be several records for the same book, be sure to check all of them).
- Click the interlibrary loan button.
- Fill out the electronic form as completely as possible, selecting the appropriate division and status.
- Click Submit.
- You will be notified when the book arrives (usually 7-10 days). Please pick it up promptly and return it on time. It is important for Union College to maintain healthy relationships with lending institutions.
To request an article:
- Find the article citation (record) in an article index.
- Verify that Union College does not have access to the article (the first three options must be exhausted before making an ILL request):
- Some article indexes provide full text access to some or all articles indexed.
- Online access is also available to Union College faculty and students from many databases and publishers' websites. See our list of Periodicals A to Z for a complete list of print and electronic periodical titles.
- Most print periodical titles are included in the Library Catalog.
- If you are using a WorldCat Local index, click the "Request an Interlibrary Loan" button. If you are using an EBSCOhost index, click "Request an Interlibrary Loan". Fill out the electronic from as completely as possible, selecting the appropriate division and status. Click Submit.
- If you obtain a citation from another source, use the Union College Library online request form.
- The article will be sent to your email address when it arrives (usually less than a week).
Interlibrary Loan Policy
Union College Library expects to provide most of the research materials needed by its students and faculty. Its collections and resources should adequately meet the needs of undergraduate students. In the event that a student or faculty member requires something not currently available in the Library, the Library will borrow this item from another library on behalf of the user within the guidelines of the following policy.
Union College Library Users Policy
Who can borrow through interlibrary loan services?
Interlibrary loan (ILL) services are available to Union College students, faculty, and staff. The services are not available to community card holders or students from other schools. The library currently does not charge for this service, but reserves the right to charge users for costs which exceed the current fiscal year’s budget for interlibrary loan expenses.
What can be borrowed through interlibrary loan services?
Articles, copies and books needed for class assignments or research. These items must not be in the Union College library’s print or digitized collections. The libraries from which the items are requested decide whether or not they will loan the items or photocopies. Many libraries will not loan dissertations, reference books, textbooks, books published in the current year, journal articles published within the last six months or any materials that the librarians consider in violation of copyright laws. This means that not all interlibrary loan requests will be filled.
What cannot be borrowed through interlibrary loan services?
- Leisure reading
- Archival materials
- Entire periodical issues (must request specific articles)
- Audiovisual materials
- Materials for relatives or friends
- Rare or expensive items
How do I submit a request?
Second, users should verify that the item is not owned by Lincoln City Libraries, UNL's Love Library, or Nebraska Wesleyan University's Cochrane-Woods Library. Users may visit local libraries to check out materials owned by those libraries. The Union College (UC) identification card enables students to borrow materials from other post -secondary school libraries in Nebraska.
Third, try to find ILL items through databases such as EBSCOhost or WorldCat Local before using an alternative method. Interlibrary loan requests submitted through databases are more likely to have complete citation information. An interlibrary loan request with complete citation information is more likely to be filled.
Fourth, if users can’t find the item in EBSCOhost or WorldCat, they may use the interlibrary loan form. Please put complete citation information in the form so that librarians can find the item.
How long till my item arrives?
Turnaround time for items may be up to two weeks. It varies within that time frame, depending on the lending library and the materials requested.
How will the library communicate with me about my ILLs?
The library communicates with users by email. Users may also be contacted by phone when necessary. The library will also notify users when their interlibrary loan request was not filled.
Where do I pick up my interlibrary loan items?
Books and other physical items will be available for users to pick up at the library’s circulation desk. Articles may be sent as email attachments or may be left at the desk for pick up.
How long can I keep my interlibrary loan items?
If the item is a book, the due date will be attached to the front. The lending library determines the loan period. Renewal requests must be made three days before the due date.
Users may request multiple renewals, but the lending library decides whether or not to renew. Users may keep articles indefinitely.
Returning items late could damage Union College library’s ability to borrow items from other libraries. Users must return books on time.
What happens if I lose or damage an interlibrary loan item?
Users are responsible for the replacement cost of the book. The lending library determines the value of the book. After they submit an invoice to the library, users will be charged for the book before the Union College library sends the lending library a check for the lost or damaged item.
Loans to Other Libraries
Union College is a member of LVIS, Nebraska State Database, North Carolina & Nebraska GAC, OCLC Knowledge Base, and OCLC Resource Sharing/ Knowledge Base Part.
Transmission of requests
The Union College library accepts requests from other libraries through OCLC or ALA form. Telephone requests are not accepted. Contact information is below.
Union College Library
3800 S. 48th St.
Lincoln NE 68506-4386
Loans are made to both national and international libraries. All loans are subject to U.S. copyright laws. Union College library loans to other libraries free of charge. IFM billing is preferred.
Item loss or replacement
Union College library charges the cost of the item.
Materials we loan
- Books in the circulating collection
- Copies as they conform to U.S. Copyright Laws
Materials we don’t loan
- Audiovisual materials (Exceptions may be made for former Nebraska Independent College Library Consortium members.)
- Genealogy materials
- Newspapers or periodicals
- Reference materials
- Heritage Room (archival) materials
One month with one renewal of one month allowed.
- Books are shipped using library rate.
- Copies may be sent by email attachment, Article Exchange, fax, or postal mail.
- Padded envelopes are preferred for mailing.
ILL service is usually suspended during the last full week of July and during the week(s) in which Christmas and New Years’ days occur.
Revised policy approved 1/21/2015