A great way to prepare for medical school.
Many degrees can prepare you for medical school, such as biology, chemistry or international rescue and relief. But Union’s popular biomedical science major is designed specifically for pre-med students.
As a biomedical science major, you will study science courses that relate directly to human health while taking supporting course work in areas such as business or psychology. When you graduate, you’ll be prepared for professional school and your future career.
Why study biomedical science?
- Prepares you for professional school and the medical career of your choice.
- Get an education that is specifically relevant to the medical application of science.
- Pursue a career that makes a direct impact on people's lives every single day.
I chose the biomedical program because it gave me flexibility. The pre-professional focus will help prepare me for medical school, and my supporting area gives me the opportunity to study business so that I can learn skills beyond medicine that will help me succeed.
2016 graduate studying medicine at Loma Linda University
Put the care in your medical career.
At Union, we know that degrees are not “one size fits all.” They can’t be when you need training to pursue your unique passion. That’s why Union’s biomedical science degree matches your educational needs with your career goals.
Why study at Union College?
- Union’s biomedical science degree focuses on classes specifically relevant to the medical application of science, helping you get accepted to and succeed in professional school.
- Union’s program allows you to take supporting coursework in areas such as business, psychology, communication or leadership—making you a well-rounded professional candidate.
- Not only receive a valuable job-shadowing experience, but also get class credit for shadowing a medical professional in the Professional Shadowing class—a class unique to Union’s program.
- Our experienced professors will challenge and stretch you, but they’ll be right beside you all along the way to provide the support you need to succeed.
My biomedical degree prepared me to do well in graduate school. Medical schools are looking for well-rounded students—individuals who excel not only in sciences, but who are effective communicators, leaders and creative thinkers. Biomedical science allowed me to pursue an emphasis in writing and speaking, which has been immensely helpful to my personal development and communication skills. I attribute my confidence going into graduate school to the well-rounded nature of my biomedical science degree.
a 2016 graduate studying medicine at Loma Linda University
Majors and minors
Union College offers a four-year bachelor of science degree in biomedical science with the following emphases. Click on the links to see a degree completion guide:
- BS: Emphasis in Pre-Dentistry/Pre-Medicine/Pre-Pharmacy (2020-2021)
- BS: Accelerated Pre-Physician Assistant Emphasis (2020-2021)
- BS: Pre-Physician Assistant Emphasis (2020-2021)
Other bachelor or science (4-year) emphases
- BS: Emphasis in Biological Research (2020-2021)
- BS: Emphasis in Biotechnology (2020-2021)
- BS: Emphasis in Pre-Chiropractic (2020-2021)
- BS: Emphasis in Pre-Genetic Counseling (2020-2021)
- BS: Emphasis in Pre-Physical Therapy (2020-2021)
- BS: Emphasis in Pre-Veterinary Medicine (2020-2021)
- BS: Emphasis in Pre-Public Health, (2020-2021)
Associate of science (2-year) emphases
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Cardiac Electrophysiology (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Communication Sciences and Disorders / Speech Language Pathology (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Cytotechnology (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Dental Hygiene (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Diagnostic Medical Sonography (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Medical Laboratory Sciences / Clinical Laboratory Sciences (2 + 2 Program) (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Nutrition and Dietetics (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Orthotics and Prosthetics (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Radiation Technology/Radiation Therapy/Radiation Sciences/Nuclear Medicine (2020-2021)
- AS: Emphasis in Pre-Respiratory Care / Respiratory Therapy (2020-2021)
- Biomedical Science, Associate of Science: Emphasis in Pre-Allied Health (General Studies), 2020-2021
Conduct research to help improve human health.
13% (faster than average)
Assess genetic risks for patients and support other healthcare providers.
29% (much faster than average)
Diagnose and treat patients with injuries or sickness.
13% growth (faster than average)