When to visit the Studio
- You have no clue what to write or speak about.
- You have some good ideas but want to bounce them off of someone else.
- You know your paper or speech has "issues."
- You are finished, but you think you need another opinion.
- You are confused about punctuation, grammar, or pronunciation.
- A teacher encourages you to make an appointment.
- You would like guidance with research and citing sources.
How to make an appointment
We welcome walk-in appointments or 30- to 50-minute sessions. Consultations happen in the Studio, Library 243.
What to bring
- Assignment sheet
- Draft of your paper or speech (if you have one)
- A pencil or pen
- Sources (if you're writing research)
- Any other materials that will help the consultant help you
What you will do
- Talk with the consultant.
- Read your paper aloud or listen as the consultant reads it aloud; practice your speech with the consultant as the audience.
- Ask questions and respond to the consultant's questions and suggestions.
- Learn to find and revise your own errors in your papers and oral presentations.
What the consultant will do
- Ask questions.
- Make suggestions.
- Help you identify your strengths and weaknesses.
- Help you see options for revision.
What the consultant will not do
- Write your paper or speech for you.
- Correct every mistake in your written work (NOTE: Editing is a highly technical skill. Consultants are not trained editors or proofreaders. They can help you find error patterns and teach you how to address them, though).
- Let you drop off your paper or presentation and pick it up later.
Tips for a successful consultation
- Come by and see us as soon as you get an assignment.
- Come often.
- Visit at every stage of the process.
- Bring necessary materials.
- Plan to spend 30–50 minutes with a peer consultant.
- Be committed to your own progress and success.
- Be nice to the consultants.
Please remember . . .
- Consultants work with peers on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Students should not expect to work with a consultant more than one session an evening to allow everyone opportunity to take advantage of the Studio's services.