Biography of Bruce Forbes
Professor of Art and Graphic Design
Courses taught at Union include Pottery (ART 315), Senior Exhibit (ART 485), Introduction to Graphic Arts (GRPH 150), Publication Design (GRPH 254), History of Graphic Design (GRPH 350), Digital Imaging (GRPH 250), Page Layout (GRPH 210), Graphic Design Internship (GRPH 476), Photography (COJR 151), Digital Photography (GRPH 225), CORE 108, and Travel Photography (ART 250/450).
Also responsible for the McClelland Art Gallery and the Graphic Design Lab.
MFA/Photography • Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA 1996
BS/Art Education and BS/English Education • Union College, Lincoln, NE 1986
Additional photography and graphic design course work at University of Nebraska, Lincoln, University of California, Riverside, and Doane College, Lincoln.
- Presidential Search Committee
- Grievance Committee
- Campus Technology Committee
- Teacher Preparation Committee
- College View Church photographer and videographer
Society for Photographic Education (since 1995)
Professor of Art and Graphic Design, Union College, Lincoln, NE. Teaching undergraduate art, photography, and graphic design courses, advising students, supervising internships and student workers, overseeing a Macintosh computer lab and an art gallery. Tenured since 2007. Fine Arts Division chair 2008 - 2012.
Mar. 1997–Jul. 2000
Head Photographer, SouthComm Publishing, Alpharetta, GA. Editorial and advertising photography for magazines for Chambers of Commerce and Development Authorities in southeastern United States. Extensive client and location work, including medical, industrial, architectural, portrait, and product photography, also project planning and proofing with clients.
Aug. 1995–Mar. 1997
Photography Instructor, Savannah Country Day School, Savannah, GA. Taught Introductory and Advanced Photography to students in grades 9–12. Responsibilities included establishing curriculum, expanding darkroom facilities, managing budgets, directing independent studies, and coordinating exhibitions.
May 1995–Aug. 1996
Gallery Assistant, Southern Images Gallery, Savannah, GA. Assisted Jack Leigh, a documentary and fine art photographer, with gallery sales, preparation and hanging of exhibits, editing portfolios and books, and preparing photographs for display and sale.
Internships, Review and Herald Publishing Association, Hagerstown, MD and Introductory and Intermediate Photography, Savannah College of Art and Design. At Review, photographed for books and magazines. Assignments included studio and location photography, products, models, copy work, photo illustration, portraiture, E-6 processing and B/W darkroom work. At SCAD, assisted two professors with undergraduate photo courses.
Oct. 1990–Dec. 1993
Grants Writer/Researcher, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA. Responsibilities included online database and text-based research, technical and scientific writing and editing, program development, and grant application preparation.
Jul. 1986–Sep. 1990
Media Productions Director, Union College, Lincoln, NE. Responsibilities included photography for print publications, slide programs, advertising and public relations, and all other college uses, directing and producing audio–visual programs, planning and producing (with a graphic artist) all print materials for the College, creating and maintaining image filing systems, maintaining photography and sound studios, video recording, copy work, slide duplication, title graphics production, and direction of student workers.
- Poem At 50: How to Remain Human published in Spectrum Magazine Summer 2012 issue.
- Poem Babel/Babble published in Spectrum Magazine Winter 2012 issue.
- Second prize, Norfolk Arts Center 2012 Juried Visual Arts Exhibit, March 10-April 7, 2012.
- First Place, Open Category, 28th Annual Five State Photography Competition & Exhibition, Hays Arts Center, Hays KS, Dec 9, 2011-Jan 19, 2012.
- Second Annual "Of Memory, Bone and Myth" National Juried Photographic Exhibition, University of North Dakota, April 7-29, 2011.
- Six images in SPE Member's Slideshow, Society of Photographic Education 48th national conference, Atlanta GA, March 11 & 12, 2011.
- Soho Photo Krappy Kamera XIII International Juried Competition, Soho Photo Gallery, New York, March 1-April 2, 2011, published exhibition book.
- Norfolk Arts Center 2011 Juried Visual Arts Exhibit, March 3-31, 2011.
- 19th, 20th, 22nd, 25th, 26th, and 27th Annual Five State Juried Photography Competition & Exhibitions, Hays, KS 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010. Cash award in Nature category in 2006.
- 10th Annual Photography Competition and Show at Prairie Winds Art Center, Grand Island, NE February 1-27, 2010.
- Six landscape images accepted for a slide show at the Sheldon Museum of Art, Lincoln NE, in conjunction with the Altered Land, Photography in the 1970s exhibition August 7, 2009–January 3, 2010.
- Runner up (final selection round) in Single Image Contest 2009, Black & White Magazine, October 2008.
- Solo exhibitions: Retrospective, Intimate Landscapes, “It is what it is”, BRAN & RAGBRAI, Directions, and New Directions in the McClelland Art Gallery, Lincoln, NE Sep 2000, July 2004, Feb 2006, Nov 2006, Oct/Nov 2008, and February 2010.
- Pottery exhibition (with students) October–November 2007, McClelland ArtGallery, Lincoln NE.
- Photography and graphic design production for two music CD’s for Dr. RyanWells: Night Songs (2004) and An Afternoon Concert (2005).
- Commissioned cover photograph for Insight Magazine July 7, 2001.
- 5th Annual Juried Exhibition, Contemporary Southeastern Photography, Jenkins Gallery, Winter Park, FL 1997
- Eight–page photo essay, with text, in April 1997 issue of NEBRASKALand Magazine, Lincoln, NE
- Solo Exhibition, Savannah, GA August–September 1996
- First City Club Art Exhibition, Savannah, GA April 1996
- Solo exhibition, Savannah, GA April–June 1996
- Solo exhibition, Gallery Espresso, Savannah, GA March–April 1996
- Silverworks publication, Savannah College of Art and Design, 1996
- Commissioned for Adventist Review cover December 12 1996
- La Sierra Today cover Winter 1994
- Outlook Magazine cover April 1993
- Outlook Magazine cover, article, and photographs March 1988
- College People magazine cover January/February 1985
- Lincoln magazine cover November/December 1984
- Two College People magazine photo essays, one with poetry, November 1983 and January/February 1985
Interests include poetry, gardening, trout fishing, photography, tennis, bicycling and motorcycling.